Caribbean: Liberty of the Seas
In November 2017, we flew to Texas, lumbered down to Galveston, and boarded the Royal Caribbean Liberty of the Seas cruise ship for a seven day trip to Honduras and Mexico in another technology-free (not counting cameras) family sand-and-sun vacation.
- Snorkels & Cameras, or Cruising Part 1
- Ports of Calling Abroad, or Cruising Part 2
- Cruise Gallery Part 1: Shots of Us
- Cruise Gallery Part 2: Shots of Stuff
Backpacking in BC
In August 2017,after months of prep we found ourselves at the trail head of the mostly famous Berg Lake trail. Five days, four nights, 23 km up (and the same back down) with about 25 km of day hiking at the top. We had a technology-free vacation on one of Canada’s largest mountains.
We were back from New York for literally 36 hours before we were on another plane, back to the USA, this time to the other coast. A weekend in Disneyland was spent (with my running bud, Ron, in tow) enjoying the parks and, yes, running another half marathon: the Run Disney Avengers half. I didn’t have much time to write about it, but we had fun.
New York, New York
In November 2016, Karin and I scooted down to New York for a weekend trip whose main purpose involved a 42.2km foot tour of the five boroughs… well, I did that with fifty thousand other runners and Karin had a much more relaxing few days in the Big Apple.
In February and March 2016, we spent nearly two weeks in Maui. We set up in a little condo near the beach in Kihei, did a bit a driving and a lot of swimming, ate some great food, and soaked up some sun.
Canada’s West Coast
In August 2015 we spent two weeks cruising the British Columbia asphalt: a family road trip back to our old haunts around Vancouver, the lower mainland, and Vancouver Island. Along the way we saw some familiar sites, ate some long-missed food, and caught up with many folks who’ve migrated west in recent years. These are some of the highlights.
- Stanley Park, Whales & Goose Poop
- Animated Road Trip
- West Coast Vacation Recap Part 1 : Thru BC
- West Coast Vacation Recap Part 2 : Vancouver Tourist
- West Coast Vacation Recap Part 3 : Nanaimo Tourist
- West Coast Vacation Recap Part 4 : Victoria Tourist
- West Coast Vacation Recap Part 5 : Towards Home
In January 2015 we took yet another trip to California. Yes, it was Claire’s third time to Disneyland (and she’s only seven!) This time it was with cause, however: The Inaugural Run Disney Star Wars 10k and Half Marathon Weekend pulled us in with the promise of a great set of races and some Disney Geek fun.
From August 6 through 16, 2014 five of us — my parents, Karin, Claire and I — drove the Iceland ring road. Our adventures were numerous and my photos were plentiful.
- Iceland, Along the Way
- The ísland Redux – Sagan Einn (Part 1)
- The ísland Redux – Sagan Tveir (Part 2)
- The ísland Redux – Sagan Þrír (Part 3)
- The ísland Redux – Sagan Fjórir (Part 4)
- More Random Feets
- Vulk Goes to Iceland
Disney World in Orlando, Florida
A few days after the start of 2014, we packed up and shipped out for Florida for a massive family vacation with Karin’s parents and her brother’s family, too. There were nine of us, and we spent a crazy couple weeks in Florida visting awesome parks, eating crazy food, and… oh, yeah… running in the 78.3km Dopey Challenge.
- Disney World, Day 1 – The Gong-Show (of a) Day
- Disney World, Day 2 – The Animal & Expo Day
- Disney World, Day 3 – The Family 5k Run Day
- Disney World, Day 4 – The Ten Klick Day
- Disney World, Day 5 – The Half Marathon Day
- Disney World, Day 6 – The Marathon Day
- Disney World, Day 7 – The Medals Everywhere Day
- Disney World, Day 8 – The Fancy Eatin’ Day
- Disney World, Day 9 – The Wilderness Explorers Day
- Disney World, Day 10 – The Bricks and Building Day
- Disney World, Day 11 – The One Last Disney Day
New York, New York
The first weekend in November 2013 and we had a plan: leave the kid at home with her grandmother, get on a plane, fly to New York, check out the city, take lots of pictures, eat lots of food, and enjoy the Big Apple: This is how all went, New York style:
Edmonton: Stay-Cation Vacation
Sometimes you just need a few days off. Summer hit, and with our schedules being what they were, we just never got around to booking any out-of-town trips for our week off. And then we realized: we live in an awesome city, have an awesome yard, and really just needed some time to relax. So, that is what we did. And there’s nothing saying I couldn’t write a travelogue about it… so I did.
- That Stay-cation Vacation – Day 1
- That Stay-cation Vacation – Day 2
- That Stay-cation Vacation – Day 3
- That Stay-cation Vacation – Day 4
- That Stay-cation Vacation – Day 5
- That Stay-cation Vacation – Day 6
- That Stay-cation Vacation – Day 7
- That Stay-cation Vacation – Day 8
- That Stay-cation Vacation – Day 9
Caribbean: Freedom of the Seas
In February 2013 we tried something a little different. We packed our bags, flew down to Florida, and hopped onto the Freedom of the Seas, a thirty-six hundred passenger mega-cruise-ship slash floating-city. We left our electronics — except for my cameras — at home. I took a break from running. And we had some family time, enjoying the sand, sun, and surf of a small handful of Caribbean ports-of-call.
- A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to The Caribbean
- 100 Things: Rockets, Rides & Random Space Junk
- Caribbean Cruising, Rants, Reviews & Redux – Part One
- Caribbean Cruising, Rants, Reviews & Redux – Part Two
In December 2012, we left Claire at home with the grandparents and did a busy weekend in Las Vegas, Nevada where I ran the Las Vegas Rock and Roll Half Marathon. It was three crazy days of good food, good fun, and lots of miles — walking and running.
- Running in Las Vegas, Day 1 – Swag, Cirque & Seafood
- Running in Las Vegas, Day 2 – Sushi, Shopping & Settling In
- Running in Las Vegas, Day 3 – Rest, Race & Rum
In February and March 2012, we traveled back to California and spent a week in Disneyland. Thanks to an iPad, a keyboard, and a sick kid I spent a lot more time than I would have figured writing about our little adventure from the hotel room.
- Disney Travel Journal : Day 1, The Swarm Day
- Disney Travel Journal : Day 2, The Long Day
- Disney Travel Journal : Day 3, The California Day
- Disney Travel Journal : Day 4, The Colorful Day
- Disney Travel Journal : Day 5, The Leap Day
- Disney Travel Journal : Day 6, The Princess Day
- Disney Travel Journal : Day 7, The Last Day
- Disney Travel Journal : Day 8, The Evacuation Day
- Consumers Versus Creators
In July 2011 I ventured south, across the border, WITHOUT my family for a weekend to meet up with some friends and attend that sciencey-type conference (again) in Las Vegas.
In March and April 2011 we went on a family vacation to Hawaii. I didn’t write much at the time, but spent a few posts a year later summarizing my memories of the trip.
- Ohana Hawaii, The Saga Redux – Part 1
- Ohana Hawaii, The Saga Redux – Part 2
- Ohana Hawaii, The Saga Redux – Part 3
- Ohana Hawaii, The Saga Redux – Part 4
In July 2009 Karin and I scooted down south, across the border for a quick weekend of science, shows, shopping, eating, and other Vegas-type things.
In April 2007, I took my pregnant wife to London in the UK and we spent ten interesting days wandering and exploring. I reported home via some vague blog posts from random internet cafes and hotel access points.
- Goodge Tube…
- A Walk in the Park
- North American Bookstores Suck
- Night at the Museum
- Eye, Guard, Gallery, and Market
- chinese, chuck, and other close encounters
- A quick note from Oxford
- Last London
- Londonium Done Plus Pics
In May 2006, Karin, Ryan and went on a multi-week tour of Eastern Europe. Part of that trip was a Contiki Bus tour, and the other part was a driving adventure in a rented car. We wrote home via a travel blog from various cafes and I later imported all those posts here for posterity. Thus I present… posterity:
- Prepare for Depature
- Packing and Settlers of Catan
- Books to read
- Pre-Jet Lag
- So we made it…
- All day in Prague
- Guten Tag aus Wiener Land
- Budapest Free Day
- Night Life
- Krakow by fire…
- Two nights in Warsaw…
- Laundry in Berlin
- Driving adventures…
- More Details…
- Last day for us…
- Karin\’s suitcase is cursed!
- what i learned on summer vacation
In November 2004, we traveled to California and spent a couple days in Disneyland. This was, of course, long before the days of anything resembling affordable and portable blogging tools, so the only record of that trip was some wry observations upon returning.
Disney World in Orlando, Florida
In May 2001, a few weeks after starting this blog and a mere month after moving out West to Vancouver, I met what would eventually be my in-laws and future wife in Florida for a week of DisneyWorld fun. I barely had the knowledge and technology to write this blog from home let alone while on vacation, so this is little more than a recap of the adventure told upon our return.