IMPORTED FROM OUR TRAVEL BLOG: Brad, Karin (and Ryan) Do Europe ‘06
I’ve been awake since 5 AM. So, I figured I may as well get up an finalize those last few details before the taxi comes to take us to the airport. You know. Important stuff, such as writing a lamenting pre-travel blog post about wondering if we’ve packed enough, how the dog will fare living in Red Deer for three weeks, or contemplating if this will be the last post ever because of some unforeseen technical difficulty (do they even have the intarweb in Europe…?).
At now shortly before 6 AM on departure day, some things that you should (as in might not, but will prepare those so anxiously reading that they are visiting a vacation blog prior to an actual vacation takes place) know about our vacation:
- This is my third trip to Europe. I was once in 1998 and once in 2003. The pictures from the 1998 trip are neither good nor digital, but the 2003 gallery is accessed from the thumbnail below.
- = Europe 2003 (and gives you an idea thanks to a nifty wordpress plugin how I can easily link to photos as we go along).
- The last time Karin was in Europe she was two. That doesn’t really count.
- Ryan has never been.
- We’ll be visiting 7 countries: Germany, Czech Republic, Austria, Hungary, Slovac Republic, Poland, and The Netherlands. Plus, if you count a two hour layover on the way home, stopping in London Heathrow Airport. No time for fish and chips.
- Four of those countries are completely new for me.
- Despite trying to do a bit of brush-up, my German is stil very rough.
- Our first stop is Berlin. We arrive mid-morning on Sunday, have a half-hour trip (ideally) to the hotel (where we check into the tour) and then all afternoon for free time. If I remember Berlin correctly (though I probably don’t) we should be able to (at the very least) see Brandenburg Gate and a bit of the remaining “Mauer” before dinner.
Bon voyage! (Or, I guess, you’re probably s’posed to say that…)